Sunday, 24 June 2012

Making the Most of Retreats

As I writer, I love to travel. It always helps my creative juices flow. I also like to get out and about, and meet people. It's important for me to get out the house and experience things firsthand, so that I can narrate my stories with passion, verisimilitude and authority.

But sometimes I need to do the opposite: I need to retreat. I need to lock myself away in the middle of nowhere, away from distraction, and just write until my hands are ready to fall off.

The Arvon Foundation offers wonderful retreats and residentials, which I have always thoroughly enjoyed, but there are other places too.

And yet, retreats present their own unique challenges. Silence and being left to one's own devices (especially with the overactive imagination of a writer) can be just as distracting as too much hustle and bustle. For this reason, I'd like to share these eleven tips on making the most of writing retreats.

What tips do you have for maximising your own efficiency during retreats?

No comments:

Post a Comment