Saturday, 12 May 2012

To Market, To Market


To Market, To Market is my latest project. It is a collaboration between DLS Enterprises and imove, Yorkshire's programme for the Cultural Olympiad. The project has been funded by Arts Council England and The Legacy Trust UK. It involves working with writers from Peepal Tree Press' Inscribe writer development programme along with the customers and stallholders of Leeds Kirkgate Market.

It is an exciting challenge for me and a key step in my career development. Not only am I one of the writers-in-residence for the project, based in the market I used to visit as a child, but I am also the project manager. I get a taste of producing and programming an ambitious cultural intervention in an unusual space. I'm excited.

I am keen to leave my mark, but also to explore and discover the unique stories of Leeds Kirkgate Market. I look forward to connecting with the market's customers and stallholders, to gathering their recollections and testimonies, to celebrating and memorialising the great legacy of what is, has been, and will continue to be the vibrant heart of a flourishing, multicultural city I love.

Market words: giftwrap, collage, colours, mango, phones, bustling, almonds, haddock, olives, VHS, bong, sweets.

No comments:

Post a Comment