Wednesday, 2 May 2012

The Love of the Senses

Honore de Balzac said 'Love is the poetry of the senses'. But for me, I think the opposite statement is more appropriate: 'Poetry is the love of the senses'. Good poetry is often rooted in the senses: whether the four physical senses or the intellectual and emotional senses (sense of justice, sense of taste, sense of awareness).

Recently, I've been moving away from wordplay and form in my poetry, and towards expressions and explorations of sense. This has re-energised my writing at a time when I'm increasingly focussing on developing, editing and publishing the work of others, and had begun to feel I was neglecting my own craft. Now I'm managing to fit in all my publishing work and my own writing. I've become rather prolific again (at least for the time being). It's nice to find a new, stronger, more heartfelt voice emerging. And the old is there too, and that's still mine, but I feel I'm moving into a new phase of maturity in my writing.

I can only hope that as I continue to write over the years I will continue to find new ways to articulate and to engage with my writing.

What changes have you noticed in your own writing? How has your practice changed? How might you grow and diversify as a writer? Think about these things. They may provide some wonderful inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment