Friday, 23 March 2012

'Not Another F**king Aryan': Letter to a Nazi Publisher

The title of this blog comes from the oft-quoted (by me) comment made by C.S. Lewis when at a reading by Tolkien. The actual quote is 'Not another f**king elf!'. You'll see why I chose this title.

Below I quote from a hilarious letter from Tolkien to the apparently Nazi publishers who wanted to buy the German rights to his work. Upon receiving a request from the press to prove his Aryan lineage, he forwarded two possible replies to his UK publisher, so they could pass on the message. The second, and more direct letter, begins:
Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your letter. I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. 
 You can read the rest at Letters of Note here.

No comments:

Post a Comment