Thursday, 23 February 2012

Is Writing a Form of Madness?

I've long thought I was mad. I think most of my friends have strongly suspected it too.

Well, according to In the Write Light, writing is a form of madness:
I was listening to the radio last night. There was a man who previously worked in a psychiatric ward being interviewed. He said that madness was anyone who for some reason couldn’t cope with the day-to-day reality of life or that the reality of life couldn’t cope with them . . . When I don’t write, particularly my novel (I’ve been working on it for years, is that mad?) I go a bit loopy. I feel disconnected. My mood is sour. I stop eating. I can’t sleep. Nothing makes sense. Life has no purpose. I go bi-polar.
Sister, I hear you! I really do!

My advice: don't write. If you were sane, you wouldn't. But it's a catch 22 situation. Only mad(wo)men write, and they're not going to listen . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment