Friday, 17 February 2012

Amanda Knox Makes a Killing with HarperCollins' Help?

I'm not the only one disgusted that HarperCollins has offered Amanda Knox £4 million to tell her side of the story, while the other half of the story decomposes in a grave somewhere, unable to ever be told.

Christopher Fowler, whom I much admire, provides a wonderful response here.

And yes: I know she was acquitted. The US press are vehement of Knox's innocence. The Italian courts are appealing this decision, so it may be a while before we hear the final word on this. It still doesn't change the fact a young woman has been killed. I hope she is innocent, for the sake of what it means about Western justice and politics if she isn't. But this is still making a killing off the death of a young woman. Isn't that abhorrent in itself, whether she's to blame or not?

Perhaps corporate publishers didn't learn enough from the debacle of OJ's vulgar book, If I Did It? Is this really the way mainstream publishing is heading?

I sincerely hope not.

What next: books from the remaining killers of Stephen Lawrence who have yet to be brought to justice?