Monday, 4 January 2010

Gay Son Refused Right to Donate to Dying Mother

When I read this article on Pink Paper today, I was as shocked as I'm sure you are.

Because student Dij Bently also happens to be gay, he was told, in no uncertain terms, that when his mother lay dying of cancer in 2005, he was unable to donate blood for her transfusion because he had 'engaged in activity with men'. I.e., was queer.

This boils my blood because, 24th August last year, his mother, Christine Bently, died of acute myeloid leukaemia and a brain infection. Other members of the family were able to donate, but Dij, who has lost a mother, wasn't even able to grant this kind act to his own parent. Although her death wasn't related to the transfusion, it's still a pretty sorry story.

Sweden has recently lifted its blood-ban on gay men. I hope the UK follows suit soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment