Friday, 16 October 2009

And Another Thing . . .

WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Well I started reading this book. Up to p.110 or so . . . and I don't hate it as much as I thought I would. The humour is a little uneven, and rarely reaches the heights of H2G2-True (as I'm coining it), but the jokes aren't as terrible as I anticipated. At times the prose is clunky and seems a little uneven, perhaps rushed, and the pace is painfully slow at times, although buoyed by the requisite humour.

One thing that's been bugging me above all else, though, is the number of times characters call each other 'mate'. This sounds too slangy and modern for H2G2, and pretty lazy dialogue, at that. Arthur, for example, would never use that term in H2G2-True, yet he does in this book. The dialogue, I suppose, is the biggest letdown. Zaphod isn't narcissistic enough. Ford isn't as quick-thinking yet drunk. Arthur isn't as downtrodden yet apathetic, with those quintessentially English, Etonian mannerisms. Even Trillian isn't as ascerbic and full of 'hidden shallows' as she was in the original books/TV series/radio series.

My last comment is that the book also took too long to get its heroes out of their quandry from book 5. Adams never bothered labouring such things. Indeed, his style was to simply throw the characters into their next adventure and gloss over the specifics with a riotous gag. Their rescue was obvious, and I'm sure Colfer could've come up with something wittier and much quicker. By now, I feel the characters should've had five mini-adventures instead of just the one.

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment